Monday, March 17, 2008

Wow, you have two monitors?

Today, let's start at the beginning: I double-click the doc on my desktop to start Word and get to work. Because I am a "pro" and need a lot of desktop space so I can do graphics and word-processing at the same time, I use two monitors. They are arranged one atop the other. I easily configure them this way using OS X's monitor setup preference pane.

This arrangement baffles Word. I'm guessing it's because getting a two-monitor setup to work in Windows involves visiting more wizards than Frodo Baggins. As a consequence, it seems the Microsofties are unfamiliar with a two-monitor set-up, otherwise why else would this happen:

No matter what size or location my document windows had when I quit Word, when I re-open them they always protrude about an inch below the top screen. In other words, Word always opens the document window so that it's taller than the main (upper) screen and thus it must be split between the two screens. It's like watching American Idol on two TV screens with Ryan Seacrest's head on one TV and his body on the other. Interesting idea, but not really practical.

With the window cut into two pieces, the display buttons, word count, etc. are on the bottom display, and the rest of the document on the top display. Inevitably, I forget this has happened and I start working with the doc only to come to a screeching halt when my eye flits to the bottom of the screen to check the page number, turn on tracking or whatever. After a millisecond or two of cognitive dissonance, I realize the bottom of my window is chopped off and I reach for the mouse to re-size the window.

So, every time I open a document, the first thing I have to remember to do is re-size the document window so it's all on one screen. Cleverly, Word does this for every document I open, not just the first one. It's just a minor annoyance, but minor annoyances are like fire ants: get enough of them biting all together and you're gonna wish you could move the hell away from Texas. I really enjoy having to think about an application rather than the work I'm trying to do. I'd much rather tinker with software than earn some actual money.

Oh well, re-sizing the window every time you open a doc does give Word a chance to catch up on the repagination it does every time you sneeze or look at the app funny. But that's another post.

Meanwhile, here's a crazy suggestion for MS: when you close a document window, save the state! Go crazy, implement some circa 1992 usability. It might just bring a little relief to your ant-ravaged users. Seriously, these welts are starting to burn...

No comments: